Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Cute Denim Apron

I pinned this neat apron tutorial about a month ago, but I got sidetracked and kinda forgot about it until today. I wanted a project that would be quick and fun, and wasn’t doll-sized. This turned out to be the perfect project.

2014-02-10 17.03.47

I followed the instructions pretty closely, although I did find a couple changes to be necessary. I’m obviously a bit more generously-proportioned than the lady pictured in the tutorial, so I cut two 4-inch strips instead of cutting one and cutting that in half for the ties. If I had made them a little longer I could have wrapped them around and tied in front, but it worked to have 18” (or so) ties.

When I got the pieces all together I also found that the top was too wide…

2014-02-10 16.38.14

…so I put some pleats in, and it’s perfect.

2014-02-10 17.25.45

I decided I did not want the pocket on the upper portion. I pinned it on, got ready to stitch it down, and decided I didn’t like the way it looked on my apron. The jean pockets are perfect anyway – I made sure the pockets were intact when I stitched the ruffle on.

This was my first attempt at making my own bias tape with my new (non) bias tape maker. It’s a pain to get the fabric started through the device, but once that’s done, it’s a snap to make the non-bias tape (I did not cut mine on the bias – I followed the instructions in the tutorial and they were for non-bias tape). I made mine 1/2” double fold because that’s the size of my bias tape maker. I love how it came out, and it was much easier than I thought it would be.

So, there you go. I made a cute denim apron, and I love it! I might just start on some Christmas gifts a little (big) bit early…

0 comments:

Post a Comment